40 minutes · 6 servings
This nourishing and tasty pumpkin and lentil soup is packed with fibre, protein and vitamins for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
1 cup Dry Red Lentils
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 Yellow Onion (chopped)
3 Garlic (clove, minced)
1 tbsp Fresh Ginger (finely grated)
2 tsps Cumin (ground)
2 tsps Coriander Seed (ground)
1/2 tsp Chili Powder (adjust to liking)
1 tbsp Turmeric (ground)
1.5 kilograms Pumpkin (peeled, deseeded and chopped into 1cm cubes)
5 cups Vegetable Broth (plus more if needed)
1 1/2 cups Canned Coconut Milk
3/4 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1. Rinse the lentils in a sieve under cold running water.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often,
until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, chili powder and turmeric.
Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
3. Add the lentils and stir to coat in the onion and spice mixture. Stir in the pumpkin and
stock. Increase heat to bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cover for 15-20
mins until the pumpkin and lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
5. Use a stick blender or transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. If too thick,
add more vegetable broth until desired consistency is reached. Season with additional
salt and pepper if needed.
6. Divide soup between bowls and top with chopped herbs, toasted seeds, chili flakes or a
swirl of coconut milk. Enjoy!
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days.
One serving is approximately 1 1/4 cups of soup.
Toasted pumpkin seeds, chili flakes, fresh herbs like coriander, or a swirl of extra coconut
Eat more plants,